Saturday, May 25, 2013

Surfers in Germany, what?

What you didn't know about southern Germany: they surf.
Well some do, anyway.

Yes, folks, indeed. That is no typo.
This blog post is coming in a bit late but one of my favorite things I've experienced in Munich thus far has been the river surfers.

On a bike tour on our first day in Munchen, our study abroad group discovered some surfers catching some waves in a local river. Our guide informed us that locals got the idea to put up platform-type blocks (or somethings of the sort) in the bottom of the river next to a bridge in order to make the water choppy and create waves. They built a side wall to climb back onto after you caught and a wave and they attached the underwater blocks to the bridge to stabilize the wave-creating-mechanism they made. I suppose it's not rocket science, but this idea totally blew my mind and showed me the ingenuity of Germans.

Surfers have been coming to this spot for years now and even celebrities like Jack Johnson and Jason Mraz stop by and catch some waves when they're in town. This is something native to Munich and not exactly a big tourist stop, but is unique in and of itself. I like to think I saw a part of Munich that many tourists don't see but really should see. So I suppose this update is going along with my theme that Germany continually surprises me. So much so that I'll miss it more than I think I will, when I leave. For those looking to experience a different part of Munich, this spot is definitely a sight not to miss out on:




No comments: