Friday, May 24, 2013

There's One in Every Group

So I never thought coming into this trip that I would ever be the ass of the group. But two hours into being in Berlin, that's what I became. I guess I volunteered for the role. It sounded like it would be fun. I'm always down for new experiences, and I've never been the ass before.


From the get-go I knew being an ass was no easy task. I had to keep an eye on everyone, yell at people if they got too far behind, and make sure no one got run over by any cars. Being an ass, it's tough work.

So at this point you're probably wondering what I'm talking about. During our first days in both Berlin and Munich we had the opportunity to go on bike tours of the city. During both of these bike tours, I got to be the "ass-man". The ass-man's job is to stay in the back of the group and make sure everyone arrives to each tour stop without getting lost or left behind. Although this was only my official title during these two tours, I decided to take on the responsibility of ass-man anytime the group all traveled together. You'd be surprised how hard it is to keep 24 people while sprinting towards trains and getting pushed around by Germans. The worst part about the potential of losing someone in this country? There's no cell-phone service. Once your lost, your lost. Knowing this fact leads to minor freak-outs, similar to the time we almost left Michelle at the castles.

Do you see why being the ass-man can be such a stressful job?

But good news parents, relatives, friends and blog-readers. I have to consider my job a success. The entire group is heading home tomorrow safe and sound tomorrow!

Since I won't be joining the group, part of me does worry what they will do without an ass in two huge airports. But who knows? Maybe someone else will step up and realize: sometimes it's good to be an ass.

A picture I got of Caroline Krcelic. When you're the ass, you get cool pictures like this.

In Berlin, I got a piece of the wall for being the ass-man. In Munich, I got this frisbee.

Couldn't have been the ass-man without Kelly, the honorary "right-cheek" of the ass duo.

No comments: