Friday, May 24, 2013

Embracing a München Tradition

We have had the amazing opportunity to spend the past week in München, Germany. In English, we refer to the city as Munich but I just love the German spelling! Although we've only had one week to experience all the city has to offer, I have learned so much about the cultural tradition of Bavaria. From the lederhosen to the culinary specialties, it's so easy to embrace the customs. München has a pretzel stand on every corner, men and women walk the streets dressed in lederhosen and dresses, and the beer is cheaper (and not to mention more refreshing) than the water.

Speaking of traditional outfits, I had the chance to try on a classic Bavarian dress at a store in Marienplatz. The racks were jammed with all different styles and colors, it would've taken all day to find the perfect one. Luckily, I found one that had a wonderful color combination! When I went into the dressing room to try it on, I was expecting just to slip into it but this was not the case. What I thought was one garment turned out to be three separate garments. Talk about a confusing wardrobe process. First, there was the white cap-sleeve shirt. Honestly, it shouldn't even be called a shirt. It was more like a ruffled bandeau with buttons and sleeves that barely covered my shoulders. It was difficult to get on so it took me a while to get situated. Then came the dress. Fortunately, all I have to do was step into this one and zip it up the front. Finally, there was the apron, which also seemed simple to put on but I was very mistaken. Upon stepping out of the dressing room, the attendent hurried over to me to fix where I had tied the bow. Apparently, as a part of the traditional Bavarian dress, a woman must knot her apron according to her marital status. Talking about letting everyone know your business! If you're married, the bow goes on the right and, if you're single, the bow goes on the left. I never would've thought the placement of a bow would be able to indicate something so personal.

After fixing my bow and making sure everything was in place, my outfit was finally together. I loved it!  The colors were great and I felt like I was wearing something very special. Even though it took a lot of time to put on, it helped me further appreciate just one of the rich traditions of the Bavarian culture. I admire the region's ability to keep these past-times alive, it gives the area of Germany a unique image and personality. It's amazing to see people take so much pride in their heritage. It's also very rare that you see such tradition alive and well in the United States. America has become such a melting pot that cultural traditions aren't as distinct as they are in the country of origin. Although my short dress-up session only gave me a taste of the München customs, it reminded me of the importance of embracing your roots and finding beauty the things that mold who you are and where you come from.


No comments: