Saturday, May 25, 2013

Cue the Corny Music, Please.

On one of the first meetings for the Munich Maymester, professor Scott Farrand remarked, "You're going to leave Germany with some of the best friends you've ever made." I, being a cynical, holier-than-thou college student, quietly scoffed at this comment, thinking it sounded a bit cliché. It was only a two-week trip, and it would mostly be about getting work done, I thought to myself. But I know how to admit when I'm wrong. Not really, but I will right now. I really did make some amazing friends on this trip, mainly my group members, Jen, Erin, and Dana. From our first lunch in Berlin that went about two hours longer than it should have, I knew our group clicked. We opened up immediately, sharing embarrassing stories and verbally abusing each other in a way that only real friends can. While we occasionally all had our diva moments, acting like overwhelmed Kardashians in the project's more stressful points, we always managed to end the day free of worries and full of funny stories. I'm still that cynical college kid I was before the trip, cringing at corny moments and feeling embarrassed by dorky friendships, but I must say the trip was seriously life changing. And if I said I wasn't gonna go home and play that God-awful "Time of your Life" song by Greenday, I'd be a damn liar.

    Auf Wiedersehen, Germany. 

           -Will


No comments: